Chef Kalman returned to Hallmark’s Home and Family yesterday showing everyone how to make homemade baked ziti. Did you miss the episode? No problem, see the full segment, pics from his visit, and get the full recipe below.
(Chef Bruce Kalman shows you how to cook up this Italian favorite.)
CLASSIC BAKED ZITI
A recipe from Chef Bruce Kalman of Pasadena’s Union restaurant.
Directions for Sauce
1. In a medium size sauté pan, heat the oil, garlic and chili together over medium heat; cook until the garlic is translucent, about 3 minutes
2. In a plastic container, combine the cooked garlic and chili with the remaining ingredients; using a whisk, mix together well
3. Reserve the sauce
Directions for Baked Ziti
1. Preheat the oven to 400F
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, 3 C of the sauce, half of the mozzarella and half of the Parmigiano; mix together well
3. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the remaining sauce and cheeses, spread the cheese completely from edge to edge
4. Place the pan on the center rack of the oven and bake until hot through and the cheese is nicely caramelized (lots of brown spots throughout)
5. Remove from the oven and grate some more Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top (for good measure!)
SERVE WITH GARLIC TOAST TO SOP UP THE SAUCE!